Chief Financial Officer
1 OCT 2020
The London Institute is hiring a part-time chief financial officer to lead its financial strategy and take charge of its accounts and bookkeeping.
Are you interested in this position?
The position is for one to two days per week, with the possibility of more in the future. It starts as soon as possible. Candidates will be expected to work from the Institute in central London. The salary is comparable to salaries offered by commercial organizations.
The London Institute is funded by a range of research grants, defence contracts and corporate sponsored research. To date, this has been managed by an external accountant. With recent investment and growth, and our designation as an Independent Research Organization, the Institute is looking for an in-house CFO who will lead our financial strategy and manage our accounts.
Candidates should be qualified accountants and are expected to have worked in a similar role before. A passion for science and technology is desirable.
The London Institute for Mathematical Sciences is a private academic institute for curiosity-driven research in physics, mathematics and the theoretical sciences. Funded by research agencies, foundations and firms, it gives scientists the freedom and support to make fundamental discoveries full-time.
- Work with the Director to develop a financial strategy.
- Occasionally report to our Board of Trustees.
- Allocate, track and report on our research grants.
- Use Xero for our (minimal) day-to-day bookkeeping and payroll.
- Forecast expenses and assess risk.
- Develop targets for our fundraising efforts.
- Doggedly seek R&D tax breaks and other government incentives.
- Advise our employees on general finance queries.