30 OCT 2020
The London Institute is transforming scientific research in the way that SpaceX and Tesla are transforming technology. It is hiring a finance director to lead its financial strategy and manage its accounts as it expands following recent investment and recognition.
Are you interested in this position?
This is an opportunity for a gifted finance director to grow and shape our organisation. The position starts as soon as possible. The salary is comparable to salaries offered by commercial organisations. Raw talent is more important than extensive experience.
The London Institute is funded by a range of research grants, defence contracts, corporate investments and gifts. With recent investment and government recognition as an Independent Research Organisation, the Institute is looking for a finance director who will lead our financial strategy and manage our accounts.
Candidates should be qualified accountants and have a passion for science and technology.
The London Institute for Mathematical Sciences is a private institute for curiosity-driven research in physics, mathematics and the theoretical sciences. Funded by research agencies, foundations and firms, it gives scientists the freedom and support to make fundamental discoveries full-time.
- Work with the Director to develop a strategy for growth.
- Attend meetings with our Board of Trustees.
- Be or become familiar with charity accounts.
- Prepare and submit research grant application budgets.
- Allocate, track and report on our grant expenditure.
- Analyse funding data and develop a science of funding science.
- Forecast income and expenditure and assess risk.
- Use Xero for our bookkeeping and payroll.
- Develop targets for our fundraising efforts.
- Manage the accounts of LIMS Ventures and any startups.
- Advise on investments, pensions and VAT exemptions.
- Doggedly seek R&D tax breaks and other government incentives.